The Evergreen Guide To Spice Up Your Blogging Literacy Today
Blogging is a good business to be in and just like every other thing in life, if you really want to be a master blogger then, you must know and learn all you can about it; there are no two ways about it. Blogging is never an easy job but, it’s also not a rocket science so, anyone who is committed and dedicated to it can acquire blogging literacy without much efforts.
It’s all about having a good workable plan and then, following some proven strategies that have worked for other people before.
However, I’m sure you already know the meaning of the word “Literacy” but in case you don’t I will try to define it a little. According to Encarta Dictionary………The word Literacy can be defined as “The ability to have knowledge of or competence in a subject or area of activity”. I guess you now understand it better right? So, let’s move on.
There are many things attached to blogging and, you have to master each aspect of it in order to create a meaningful blog, a blog that will stand the test of time and mind you, blogging is not for lazy people so, if you’re one then I’m sorry, this post is not for you.
Without further ado, let’s go straight to the point.
What Does it Really Take to Acquire Blogging Literacy?
Like I mentioned above, blogging is made up of many branches and, you have to cover all of them before expecting your blog to grow. You can either do them yourself or outsource them. The main thing is to get things done. Below are the things that will enable you to acquire blogging literacy.
1. A clear understanding of what blogging is all about: This is the most important aspect of it all. If you want to be a master blogger then, you will have to first of all understand what blogging is in the first place.
You can never become a master at something you don’t know, true or false?
So before you start talking of being a blogger, the first thing you should do is to know what blogging is and how it functions. This is one thing that has caused the collapse of many blogs today. Some people usually start blogging before they even know what blogging is all about so, how do you expect such a person to succeed?
Therefore, my advice is to gather as much knowledge as you can about the meaning of blogging before you start your own. This will enable you to know if you can do it or not. There is much information on the web today as regards to this; just a little Google search will give you the answer.
2. Having a clear vision of what you want: It is very obvious that we all did not start blogging for the same purpose. You have a reason why you’re a blogger. Some people started blogging just for the fun of it in other words; they take it as a hobby.
While some other people started blogging to make money which means that, they see it as their business. I believe that there are many other reasons why a person can start blogging so; the main thing is to understand why you want to enter it. Why do you want to start blogging? That’s a question you have to ask yourself before creating one.
This is because, a blogger who blogs as a hobby will not view blogging the same way someone who is blogging as a business views it so, knowing what you want from the beginning will help to know how to go about it.
3. Willingness to work hard: I know that you’ve heard this lot but, the truth still remains that….. if you want to achieve any good thing in life, you must work very hard for it. Blogging is not exceptional here, for you to be a master blogger and acquire blogging literacy; you must be willing to work hard.
You must be willing to stay awake when other people are sleeping, you must be willing to work when other people are having fun. This is especially when you’re just starting.
You must be ready to work your ass off so that your blog will be worthwhile. This is why I mentioned above that blogging is never a lazy man’s job. You might have heard before that the easiest way to make money in life is via blogging but my brother, this is the highest lie you will ever hear.
Just like the offline jobs, it also takes time and effort to see any significant result from blogging but, if you’re dedicated to it and desire to make it work for you no matter anything that comes up then, you will surmount mountains and hills.
Desire carries man half way to success
4. Being specific on your choice of niche: A lot of people have written about this one too and, I still believe that it’s better to focus on one niche at a time rather than blogging on multiple niches with one blog. Having a generic blog is never easy and, you might not be able to handle it.
Especially when you’re just starting, it’s good to focus on one niche and become a master at it. Let people see you as an authority on that niche rather than chasing all the niches at the same time. If you plan on blogging on multiple niches then, it’s better to create a separate blog per niche. This is from my own point of view so; I will also want to know what you think about it.
5. Connecting with people that have done it before: This is very important. If there is something I regretted since I started blogging, it’s that I didn’t start networking with other bloggers early enough. I think I’ve being in the business for about 4 months before I discovered the benefits of networking. Neil Petal also shared a post that is similar to this RIGHT HERE.
When it comes to blogging, you cannot do it all alone, you need the assistance of those that has done it before to propel you to success so, it’s good to start connecting and building some solid relationships with other bloggers that has done what you want to do.
I must tell you that my blogging experience changed tremendously when I started connecting with people like Ana Hoffman, Adrienne Smith, Harleena Singh, Yaro Starak, Pat Flynn and many of them. These people started blogging before me and therefore, I had a lot to learn from them.
There are many ways to go about this but; the best way is via blog commenting and social media. Whenever they write a post, read and leave a meaningful comment on it and also, share it on the social media sites this way, they will start recognizing you and, that’s how the relationship will start. Remember…..
Behind every successful man, there are people that triggered it
So, start connecting with influencers in your community now in order to acquire blogging literacy.
6. Learn to Ask Questions: We can never know it all. No matter how much you think you know, you will always come to a point where you don’t know what to do in other words, you will be in a confused state and, the best thing you can do then is to ask for other people’s assistance.
There is no need to feel shy, if you don’t know a thing, ask others and, you will get the answer instead of claiming to know it all. You will never achieve much if you cannot ask reasonable questions.
He who cannot ask, cannot live
7. Always delegate some of the tasks: The worst thing that can happen to any blogger is to try to do it all. Trying to do both your blog setup, promotions, article writing and publishing, product creations, ebook cover creation, video making and editing, etc.
If you try to do all these alone, you will likely end up not achieving any of them. It’s better to do the ones you are good at and then, outsource the rest to people that are experts at it. This will enable you to focus more on the most important aspects of your business.
8. Always set achievable goals: One of the first steps towards achieving anything in life is to set goals. Once you learn to set achievable goals and stick to it, you will definitely go far.
Setting achievable goals will help you to stay on track because sometimes, you might be wasting time without knowing it but, when you focus on your goals, you will be able to work towards achieving it at the stipulated time.
9. Cultivate the habit of reading: For you to be a master blogger, you have to become an avid consumer of information. You have to cultivate a reading habit because; there are many things you will need to learn from other people. In his post, Timo Kiander wrote a post that covered the importance of reading blog posts, you might also wish to check it out.
The more you read, the more you learn new things that will take your blog to a greater height.
10. Build an email list as soon as possible: I’m still far behind on this one but, i do know the benefits and, i will be taking it very serious next year. It is said that the money is in the list and, this is so true. It does not mean that the people that subscribed to your email list are your money making machine but, they are the people that can help to grow your business if you respect them. It is therefore of utmost importance to start building a list as soon as possible and also learn how to respect your subscribers.
11. Give and Take: If you want to become a master blogger, you must also learn to be giving because, the more you give, the more you will receive. Thats it. What i mean here is that, if you ever want anything, you must first give it out freely. Its every bloggers wish to have his readers comment on his blog so, if thats also what you want, you must also learn to comment on other peoples blogs and, they will in turn come back and comment on yours.
If you want a punch, give someone a punch before you know it, you will have a swollen face :). If you want a smile, give it away and you will get as many as possible. Therefore, if you people to share your posts, you must have to share their first. All these are especially when you’re just starting, you will always need to give it the things you want and they will come back to you. If you want to start getting lots of comments on your blog posts then, you will have to read this amazing post that covered the topic.
12. Taking action: One thing that always kills some bloggers is not taking action syndrome. After reading or learning anything that will grow your business, it’s always good to start practising it as soon as possible to see the impact it will create on your business instead of doing nothing. It will only be a waste of time if you finish reading this post and did nothing so, start working on acquiring blogging literacy now. I’m sure that if you follow these steps, you will be creating a blog that will end up being very famous.
Thanks for reading.
I know there are many other ways of acquiring blogging literacy so; I want you to tell me your own methods on the comment section. Let’s discuss further and, let me know what you think about my own points.
Please, remember to tweet and share this post with your friends
Photo Credit: freedigitalphotos.net